Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

ADE Electrical Solutions FAQs

Loader image

Electrical wiring within a building is complex. Allowing anyone who is not qualified to carry out works can result in serious consequences such as electrical fires and even death. When you use a registered electrician to carry out work in your home, you have the peace of mind that: They are regulated, they work to the BS7671 safety standard, their work is regularly assessed, they are insured so you are protected, and it is a legal requirement for certain electrical work.

We carry out work for domestic, commercial and industrial customers. Varying from homeowners, landlords, retail premises, education providers, health care establishments and work for main contractors.

We mainly work in the West Midlands but are based in a convenient, central location, our electrical engineers and electricians will travel nationwide for projects and installations across the UK. No job is too big or too small – our experts are here to provide advice and assistance to ensure every job is tailored to meet your exact requirements.

Yes, we can provide free estimates and quotes for electrical work either verbally, over the phone or in writing via email.

Working with electricity requires a highly qualified electrician to carry out electrical work to a safe and high-quality standard, which is why it’s critical that you choose a business that’s NICE-approved. Electricians registered by NICEIC are assessed on a regular basis to ensure they are competent and authorised to self-certify work.

These are the key reasons you should use a NICEIC-approved electrical contractor:

  • We’re annually assessed by NICEIC
  • We have public liability insurance
  • You have access to an independent complaints process
  • We’re approved to carry out all forms of inspection and testing from minor works to full installations and fire alarms, emergency lighting, periodic tests and inspections.

Private landlords must ensure every electrical installation in their residential premises is inspected and tested at intervals of no more than 5 years by a qualified and competent person.

For privately rented properties, your landlord or letting agent should have given you a copy of an EICR carried out on your rental property, but also kept one for themselves, so you should be able to ask them for a duplicate. For owner occupied properties, there may be a label in the fuse box / consumer unit that states when the last inspection and test was done. If there isn't one present, we would suggest arranging one with a registered electrician.

Cost is size dependent. It is recommended that you always use a registered electrician to carry out the inspection.

To give you the peace of mind that your electrical installation is safe, use a registered electrician to carry out an inspection and test. They will then issue you with an Electrical Installation Report which will either confirm that the installation is safe or highlight any hazards that need to be rectified.

Yes, we use the terms ‘satisfactory’ and ‘unsatisfactory’ when it comes to describing an electrical installation. If an electrical installation poses an immediate danger an electrician can turn off and lock off the installation and issue a danger notice.

A short power outage can be expected on each circuit within the system but because most of the testing is carried out whilst the system is still live, these outages can be planned around your daily activities.

Yes, a call-out fee is the cost of attending your premises and will vary in cost according to the day and time. Expect to pay more if the call is out of hours. A call out fee is separate to any charges for labour and the price of any replacement parts required.

We can install an EV (Electric Vehicle) charging point to a home or property if you are the legal owner of the property, and you have direct access to the vehicles parking space. This could be a garage or other off road secure parking such as a driveway.

This is dependent on both the tariff that you are on and the size of the battery in the vehicle.

With over 25 years’ experience our team of fully-qualified NICEIC contractors are committed to getting every job right, first time. For us, good communication is the key to success, and is one of the reasons why so many of our clients come back time and time again. Before we start, we’ll lead you through the proposed work and make sure you understand what’s involved.

Our team are fully qualified in their respective fields. All staff members undertake regular training and health and safety is continually assessed and monitored. All registered electrical companies in England and Wales are listed to enable you to check that an electrician/contractor you plan to use is registered, or help you find a competent electrician/contractor in your area.

Yes, we have insurance to cover all works carried out. Further details can be obtained upon request.

Yes, we are a VAT registered company and 20% will be added to all invoices. Our VAT number is 431 8701 10

All our work carries a one-year warranty on parts and workmanship. Work is also covered by NICEIC insurance to give you additional peace of mind.

First fix electrics include the installation of cables and hidden wiring. New back boxes may also be required before any furniture or carpets are added to the property. During this stage, all the cables will be pulled through the agreed positions of built-in appliances, lighting and sockets. This is in preparation for fitting second fix electrics.

Second fix electrics relate to the electrical components installed once plastering work has been carried out, insulation is fitted, and internal surfaces are built. They will be part of the final touches added to a new or renovated space.

Elements such as plug sockets will be put in place, and the fuse board will be upgraded to ensure it can take the additional loading and has RCDs (residual current devices) to keep the system as safe as possible.

It depends on its condition rather than its age, if it has been tested and is in good condition and everything is working effectively there is no requirement to rewire. However, you may wish to consider adding RCDs to enhance the safety of the installation. A qualified electrician will be able to assess if your property/premises requires rewiring and what can be achieved within a specific budget.

We are experienced at making the rewire as hassle and mess-free as possible, but unfortunately, rewiring is disruptive and invasive work. For a full rewire, every room will need to have the following carried out:
Furniture moved out, floor covering taken up, floorboards lifted, walls chased out for switches/sockets where necessary, dust and associated mess during the period of the work (although we always clean up at the end of the day). To rewire lighting upstairs, we will probably need the loft to be cleared to gain access to the lighting points and to each switch drop.

You can replace an electric shower yourself, but it's generally recommended that you use an electrician. Even if you are replacing an electric shower with a similar model, it will require plumbing and electrical experience to ensure it's done safely, especially if your new shower is of higher wattage.

No, you aren't required to have an electrician fit an electric cooker. But it's generally recommended that you hire an electrician to install a cooker as it involves live wiring, circuitry, and cables. A qualified electrician will ensure the job is handled correctly and safely.

Yes, electricians do install smoke alarms in homes and commercial properties. If it's a main powered smoke alarm, it will run off your property's main power supply. Therefore, an electrician should install this type of smoke alarm. However, you can install battery-powered smoke alarms yourself relatively easily.

A room should have a minimum of 3 sockets, although we would always suggest that the 3 sockets should be fitted as twins, giving the user more flexibility and preventing the likelihood of using dangerous extensions.   Socket numbers can vary depending on room size and function.

A registered electrician can self-certify their own electrical work. When an electrician is registered with one of the industry's certifying organisations, they can sign off on their own work. This means they can do any necessary electrical testing, notify local building control for you when required, and issue a legally required Building Regulations Compliance certificate

We are always keen to hear from fully qualified electricians/electricians’ mates who would like to join our friendly team. You can email a copy of your CV to or call us on 01527 222 888.