What are the benefits of LED lighting?

More Posts

LED (light Emitting Diode) lighting are becoming more and more popular replacing traditional lights due to the many benefits that they offer. LED lighting benefits include lower energy consumption, they don’t get as hot, they last longer, and they are Eco-friendly.
What are the benefits of LED lighting?

LED Lighting Benefits

Reduced energy consumption

LED lights are far more economical in relation to their running costs. Their design leads to substantial cost savings per month in terms of energy usage and bills.

Eco-friendliness

As part of the UK’s attempt to actively reduce climate change, the government has begun to eliminate the sale of high energy halogen lighting with fluorescent light bulbs to follow suit. This measure is expected to mean that LED light bulbs will account for 85% of all bulbs sold by 2030 and will soon replace all traditional lighting due to their energy efficiency and long life.

Probably the biggest benefit of switching from traditional lighting to LEDs is the amount of energy they save.
A standard halogen bulb uses 50W of energy, while in comparison, an LED bulb can produce the same amount of light using only 5W. This equates to 10 times less energy used!
Fluorescent lights are powered by coils filled with mercury, which is a toxic substance that can poison animals and fish if it is not recycled properly.
With LED lights, this is not an issue since they do not use any harmful substances and are much safer for the environment.

Durability

LED bulbs require less energy leading to a longer working life for each bulb and the need for fewer replacements. When compared to a standard incandescent bulb an LED will last over 20 times longer. From an average life expectancy of 3 months to 10 years, LED lights save both time and money on unnecessary and frequent replacements.

Limited heat

In traditional bulbs, 90% of the energy produced is heat and the remaining 10% is light. With LED lights, there is far less heat waste and due to their design, the minimal heat that is created is absorbed backwards so that the bulbs remain safe and cool to the touch.

Versatile

LED lights are extremely versatile in lighting design as they can emit light in a specific direction. They can be used as desk-side lamps, ceiling downlights, architectural lighting, emergency lighting, decorative lighting and much more.

To achieve the same result with incandescent, fluorescent, or halogen bulbs, you would need to use diffusers and reflectors to trap and redirect the light, which incurs and additional expense.

They are also available in a wide range of colour options from cool white to warm yellows to suit your environment.

Instant light

As soon as the LED lighting is switched on, they operate at full brightness and don’t take time to warm up as traditional bulbs. This is a substantial benefit when using this type of lighting for security purposes or alongside motion sensors.

Dimming facility

LEDs can easily be dimmed to operate at virtually any percentage of their rated power; something that wasn’t available with traditional lighting technology. Additional hardware is required for this function which is worth the added expense. Operating LEDs at less than their full power not only makes them more efficient but also increases their total lifespan.

Smart lighting

Smart LED lights are connected to an app, smart home assistant, or another smart accessory to allow you to automate them or control them remotely, eliminating the need for traditional light switches.

Other than easier and more accessible control, smart LED lights are easily dimmable, more energy-efficient than normal LED lights, fully automated, and can be integrated with other devices such as security cameras, audio equipment, and thermostats. Our team of qualified engineers can carry out a survey to determine how this will be best suited to your requirements.

Another positive point is that the initial cost for LED lighting is reducing as demand increases. UK Government is supporting the product with initiatives and grants being made available for small and medium sized UK businesses.

ADE Electrical Solutions has the expertise to assist you in choosing a trusted brand that will ensure you obtain good quality lighting that is reliable and has a long life. In addition, we can help you to consider the size and layout of your premises, lighting design, current installations, and the overall electrical infrastructure. Contact us to today and let us see how we can help you reap the benefits of LED lighting.

Photos are an example of LED low bay lighting installed in a new warehouse for one of our clients.